Squadron Leader Andrew “Andy” Robert MacKenzie

DoB: August 10, 1920

DoD: September 21, 2009

Cause of death: Cancer

Confirmed kills: 8.25

Sqn. History:

Attended No.1 Manning Depot, Toronto, 7-24 June 1940.

Trained at No.1 ITS (24 June to 21 July 1940),

No.4 EFTS (21 July to 6 October 1940) and

No.31 SFTS (6 October 1940 to 8 January 1941).

No.421 Squadron, 10 August 1943 to 16 May 1943;

No.403 Squadron, 16 May to 28 August 1944.

No.135 Squadron (29 January to 7 September 1945).

Transferred to Reserve, 1 October 1945

Photo of S/L MacKenzie (Front left) taken Sept 1943

Used with permission from acesofww2.com


Enlisted in 1940 on June 6th. On 1943 August 26th, MacKenzie was awarded his first BF.109 destroyed which he was given ¼ of the kill with 4 others. On December the 20th 1943 over the south of England, Mackenzie the 32-year-old flying instructor from Montreal had just racked up an astonishing 3 kills all within 90 seconds. Being two FW.190’s and one BF.109. He shot down the second Focke-Wulf after shaking a couple of Nazis off his tail and coming out of a turn to find himself on the tail of two German planes chasing F/L Ed Gimbel. Then January 15th, 1944, MacKenzie was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, being regarded as flying with skill and a resolute fighter whose determination to destroy the enemy has always been evident. Then on June 28th, 1944, Mackenzie was yet again credited with another kill of an FW.190. MacKenzie then on the 2nd of July 1944 managed to take down and destroy one BF.109 and damage another. Finally, MacKenzie's last few kills were on the 16th of July 1944 where he took down two BF.109s. Mackenzie was then returned to Canada after being shot down over Utah Beach by an American anti-aircraft gun. After the war, McKenzie then flew in Korea and was shot down by a Saber 5 pilot on December 5th, 1952 while in deep Chinese territory but then picked up by the North Koreans. Then spent the rest of the Korean war as a POW and wasn't released until not released until 5 Dec 1954 which was long after the 27 July 1953 cease-fire, he was the RCAF's only POW in Korea.


  • Was the only POW who was part of the RCAF during the Korean war.

  • Spent 2 years in the North Korean POW camp.

  • While in the North Korean prison, MacKenzie communicated with cellmates that he couldn't see or talk to using messages hidden inside a bamboo broom. He learned of the war's ending through this method.



Andrew Robert "Andy" MacKenzie. (n.d.). Retrieved October 1, 2020, from https://acesofww2.com/can/aces/mackenzie.htm